Friday, October 5, 2007

Former astronaut's son buys space ticket

Richard Garriott, who made his fortune in computer games, will soon follow in his retired father's footsteps and into orbit. For a mear 30 million dollars, Garriott will be taken aboard a russian soyuz rocket from Kazakhstan later this month. He will stay at the ISS for one-week.

His father, Owen Garriott, now 76, spent 59 days aboard skylab, American's first space station in 1973 and also flew aboard the space shuttle Columbia in 1983.

"My dad was an astronaut so I grew up believing that space was going to be available for everyone at some point in the future," Richard Garriott said on a phone interview Friday. "But I realized that the NASA method was a statistical improbability. If I was going to get a chance to go myself, it would have to be through private space travel."

No comments: