Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Assignment 1 Website Review

After a review of both the Enterprise Mission and Mars Society Websites it became clear that although Mars experts may know something about interplanetary space travel, they know much less about the design and layout of a website. I found both websites overwhelming and unattractive especially that of the Enterprise Mission which presented an ascetically loud center belt of information overlapping a black backdrop sprinkled with stars. The Mars society site was more pleasing to the eye however I continued to feel bombarded by information and found myself unable to quickly focus on anything specific.

Once settled, I took a more extended look at the first page of each website. I began with the Enterprise Mission which proved as inadequate as I had originally expected. My first thought was how can Mr. Lowel expect anyone to take him seriously when he is representing his cause with a space ship from Star Trek. I also couldn't believe how tough this website was to navigate. The first page was far to long, taking me minutes to scroll to the bottom and the links proved uninteresting.

A step up from the convoluted and childish Enterprise Mission website was that of Mars Society. At first glance this site proved to be as overwhelming as its competitor but once settle, I found a much greater wealth of interesting and comprehensible information. I was pleasantly surprised to find a clearly stated purpose complete with goals. I also found links to be more accessible and interesting and the overall website seemed to be tailored to a more intelligent and mature demographic than that of the Enterprise Mission.

All in all the Mars Society site proved to be far superior but could use some work on comprehensibility and organization of information.

No comments: